118 Nigerians Killed In Xenophobic Attacks In South Africa – Lawan

The President of the Senate, Ahmed Lawan, on Monday condemned the continuous killings of Nigerians in South Africa, warning that further attacks on Nigerians would no longer be condoned.

Mr Lawan expressed concern that about 118 Nigerians had so far lost their lives in different attacks over the years, out of which 13 were by the South African Police.

A statement by his Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mohammed Isa said Mr Lawan made this known when he hosted the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria, Bobby Moroe.

Mr Moroe and his delegation paid the visit to brief the Senate leadership on his government’s investigations to unravel the causes of the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and steps being taken to stop such.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE  Osinbajo Under Fire As Suspected Herdsmen Kill Catholic Priest, Kidnap RCCG Pastors

The meeting, according to Mr Lawan, became pertinent considering the incessant attacks on Nigerians residing across cities in South Africa.

He said “We in the parliament must speak and prevent any further killings. These killings must stop.

“This is the era of social media where corpse of a victim may spark violence that may go beyond the control of government.

“The South African government must as a matter of urgency do whatever it takes to protect the lives and property of Nigerians living there, just as Nigerian government remain committed to the safety of South Africans residing here and their investments.

“I believe we have faced enough, we will no longer take it anymore. We want to write the names of Nigerians killed, and the South African parliament must act fast to put a stop to this menace.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE  El-Zazakky: 3 Things Buhari Will Regret Doing – Fani-Kayode Reveals

“Over the years, 118 Nigerians have been killed, while 13 out of these were killed by South African Police.”

PropellerAds