In recent times, many couples spend a great deal of time preparing for their wedding while dreaming only of the journey they are about to embark on: marriage. hence, they are always shocked when things start to reveal themselves and most things, they are things they never bargained for.
In this article, we’ll be providing some questions you ought to ask your significant other. The last thing you want is to find numerous skeletons in the closet after you get married because you failed to do your due diligence or ask the right questions.
Just because you’ve been with someone for X number of years or have been friends with your partner for Y number of years doesn’t mean things will magically work themselves out when you get married. It’s important that several questions ranging from sex, finances, raising kids amongst others are brought up before you say “I do”.
Here are some questions (in no particular order) to ask your partner as you determine if he/she is the one you truly want to spend the rest of your life with.
Turn this into a fun but honest question and answer session on one of your date nights, long road trip and many more. Just don’t forget to print the list.
1. What was it like growing up?
2. What was the best part about your childhood?
3. What was the worst part about your childhood?
4. What’s the one thing about your past that you are afraid to share with anyone? (Hopefully he shares with you)
5. Name three things you really like about yourself
6. Name three things you like about me
7. What are your biggest fears in life?
8. What are your biggest needs in life?
9. Are there any past situations that could affect our future or your future?
10. What are some of the biggest mistakes you made in your past relationships?
11. What do you worry about the most?
12. What makes you angry?
13. How do you like to be treated when unhappy, angry etc?
14. Do you know the importance of saying “I am sorry”?
15. How do you deal with constructive criticism or corrections?
16. Name one thing you are ashamed of
17. Name someone you truly admire and why
18. What is your greatest personality asset?
19. What is your weakest personality asset?
20. Describe your ideal vacation?
21. Describe the importance of effective communication in a relationship?
22. Name some communication dos and don’ts from your perspective for our relationship?
23. Name things you have the most fun doing
24. What hurts you the most?
We know this sounds like a whole lot but this is a way of getting to know each other better. Make it fun and you’d love the outcome.